1in by 1/2in hardwire cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkiechick05, Oct 18, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    is it sufficient against predators such as raccoons, possums, and other small hunters?

I live in North Texas

2. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    I have 1/2 square hardware cloth, and thank goodness, I have had no issues yet, but the chickens are in the coop closed up at night and I dont think coons, possums, and other critters come out in the day when the chickens are outside???

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Racoons can reach through the 1 by 1/2 inch openings to grab birds. So I've been told by many folks who've had their doves pulled to pieces through this kind of wire.

The problem comes when terrified chickens pile up in a corner, the racoon reaches in....carnage.

You could use this wire if you blocked the bottom of the run, corners, and any areas where roosts come right up to the wire. That should limit the risk.

I just went ahead and used the 1/2 by 1/2 inch wire for the whole pen.

4. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay...

where did you get your 1/2in by 1/2in wire from?

my dad went to home depot but said the wire felt flimsy and is going to go with 1in by 1/2in

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I just bought 1/2" X 1/2" hardeware cloth from Home Depot and it wasn't flimsy at all!! [​IMG]

Missi

6. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Yeah i saw it there, but it was only 19 gauge

do you know where i can get stronger stuff?

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I bought the 19 gauge 1/2 by 1/2 vinyl coated wire from this company online:

http://www.wadavidson.com/index2.php?grp=13

With the coating, it's actually quite sturdy, and will last longer than the uncoated. However, I noticed the 19 gauge vinyl coated they're selling is now "imported." The rolls I bought this summer were American made (Riverdale), so I can't vouch for the quality of this new wire. The Riverdale wire is great stuff.

You could also try Klubertanz. They sell wire by the foot.

http://www.klubertanz.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by