1st attempt incubating = disaster :-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lotz2612, Jul 1, 2010.

1. lotz2612

lotz2612 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Well...1st attempt ever of incubating eggs...DISASTER!!! they were in the bator for over 4 weeks and today i plucked up the courage to chuck them and start again. 2 of the eggs were almost developed (that broke my heart!) but the rest looked like they started developed, then stopped.

Any ideas what I did wrong? They were fertilised cos stuff started to develop...but why would they have stopped?

How can I make the new batch that i put in today be more successful?

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Its kind of hard to tell you what you should do better without knowing what you did exactly with this bunch.
    Temp
    Humidity
    Turning
    Type of incubator
    What type of birds you were incubating
    Was the incubator in a drafty spot
    Was temp/hum consistant....etc.

3. lotz2612

Jun 29, 2010
    Temp - about 102-103deg F
    Humidity - not sure...dont have a guage...but i made sure the water bowls provided in the bater were topped up
    Turning - its automatic so i think its twice / 3 times a day
    Type of incubator - Corti 25 Auto Incubator
    What type of birds you were incubating - Bantums
    Was the incubator in a drafty spot - No..they are in the kitchen away from any drafts
    Was temp/hum consistant....etc. - consistant as it can be (temp might go down a bit when i take the lid off to top the water up)

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Temp too high! You want 99.5-101 dep on if you use a fan
    You HAVE to check humidity!

Did you read the section about incubating chicks? If not, you really should. Also you can check out dry incubation info too. Read up before starting again. Keep your temps down. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Did your incubator have a fan?

6. lotz2612

Jun 29, 2010
    Yer its a fan one. see...there is a temp guage on it, and it says its under what it should be?! Strange! Oh well...better luck new time!

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd make sure your temp is stable around 99.5-100 and your humidity is somewhere between 30-50%; it can be anywhere in there as long as it's consistent. Chicken eggs hatch in 21 days (Bantams sometimes 19-21, depending), so make sure on Day 18 (or before if yours are a small enough variety) you are removing them from the turner to settle. This helps the chicks determine which way is up and pip their shells properly.

It sounds like yours did not make it to that stage, though, which means something was either off genetically or your temp or humidity was wrong. I'm betting temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by