1st baby chick born what do i do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmom137, Dec 29, 2012.

1. chickmom137

chickmom137 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    My orphington just had her first baby chick with her beau rhode island red. Just one baby cause I didn't know when to stop collecting eggs as I am a newbie to all this. Anywho, my question is does the mom do everything like feed it and give it water or do I now need to make some type of feeder for the baby? If so do I need to mov her ànd the baby away from the others so they don't try to take that food too? Just very new looking to do the right thing to make sure it lives. Please help.......

2. friendlyfowl97

friendlyfowl97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Yep the mom pretty much does all the work [​IMG] Just make sure the baby has access to water (small enough waterer so it can drink and not drown) and momma will show it where the food is. Usually I separate my broodies with their babies from the rest of the flock because I didn't trust my other girls... but because there's just one chick mom will protect her from any danger. It's really up to you if you want to separate them or not. If you keep it with the flock then make sure the baby can get in and out of the coop by itself because I once lost some babies because they couldn't get inside to their mom. Chick feed would be best to give to the little one. Good luck with your new mom and grandchick! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the baby! Hope she hatches some more to keep that one company. Like the above poster said, chick food (starter crumbles) is best for the chick. Mom can eat it too, but make sure the little one(s) don't get layer food before they are around 16 weeks old. Layer food has too much calcium for them.

4. chickmom137

chickmom137 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks for the info! Mom and baby are doing fine. I put her in a cage by herself as I didn't know how my RIR would act to the baby or my Silky. She seems to be a good mother teaching it to eat and drink from the waterer. So cute! I love watching her with it. Thinking of Sadie if it's a girl and Booster if it's a boy. I can't wait to see what it looks like grown since it's a cross between a Splash Orphington and a RIR. Right now it's a black chick with a little white on its belly. Thanks to the both of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by