1st baby....HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourhouse51, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I just hatched out my very 1st baby! I have 21 eggs in the incubator, today is day 20. 5 of the other eggs have small holes....

The baby seems to be doing okay...but there was a lot of what looks like yolk still there. Is that normal? (I have never even seen a brand new baby hatch so I have no clue. )

My question is...how long before I move the baby out and put him in his box with the lamp? And, do I feed him immediately? Do I leave the shell in the incubator?

Help!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yolk in the egg or attached to the chick?? Sometimes they haven't absorbed their entire yolk at hatch.

the small holes are called pips [​IMG] Yay!

It's best if you don't open the bator until all have hatched.... they can go 2 days or so without food and water as they live off their yolks still. When you do put them in the brooder box eventually... dip their beaks one at a time into food and water. That way they know where it is. They will figure it out pretty quick! I put clean pebbles or marbles in my water dish for the first couple of days so no one falls asleep too close to the waterer and drowns. Sometimes it helps to make a happy excited bok bok noise and scratch in the food to show them where it is. They will equate your finger with mom;s beak to some extent.

I leave the shells.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave everything alone....

Don't open the 'bator!!!!!

That little guy has reserves to last him a couple of days while the others catch up.

Don't open the 'bator !!!!

Not yet....

This is a very critical time as far as the humidity goes. While the shells are still totally intact, a short little drop or tiny blast of dry air isn't going to cause a huge disruption, but right now, if a bit of dry air were to hit that little bit of exposed membrane where the "tiny holes" are, it could dry it out and make it impenetrable by the little chickies egg cutting device.

So....

Watch but do not touch....

Keep us posted...

And congratulations

Susan

4. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    The yolk is attached to the chick. It is just really laying on the wire. I can still hear it peeping.

I have another that is moving around. I can just see his little beak!

I am so excited! Yesterday was my grandsons 6th birthday...so he is claiming them all as his!

Thanks for the answers and advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by