1st bath and New Homes!!!! Pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Sammy my snowy mallard, and Peter Pekin finally got to take their first bath in a small plastic container full of nice warm water! I also made them new homes out of plastic containers. They kept jumping out of the wood brooder! and if you've ever had to catch a duckling in a room full of furniture, you know it can take forever! The new homes are just regular plastic containers, which i cut the fronts out with a jig saw. I then glued in a plexiglass wall so they could see out. It also lets my big ducks get used to them being around without hurting them....

A little unsure of the water at first-
    [​IMG]

This is not so bad!-
    [​IMG]

Preening-
    [​IMG]

Sammy looking perplexed-
    [​IMG]

soaking wet and ready to dry off-
    [​IMG]

Sammy's new home-
    [​IMG]

Peter Pekins new home-
    [​IMG]

Snuggling together the first night on top of their duck puppet...
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there's toys and stuffed animals in there for fun/comfort. I also put mirrors in their, which they love to admire theirselves in! They are getting so big!

2. Awwww Duckies , makes me so want to hold them [​IMG]
    I like your setup , very kool idea .

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Ohhhhh....how cute!!!! [​IMG] They are getting big!

I loved the bath pictures, so adorable. And they looked so happy!

I like the new setup too, and I have a question- do they sleep on the puppet often? I'm having trouble with the wood shavings staying wet and I do change it out often...but they just want to play in the water ALL the time. They don't seem to mind the dampness but yours look soooo comfortable resting on the puppet. I would think with my five though, I would have some major issues with it staying wet and them soiling it if I tryed something like that. Maybe just when they are drying from their bath?!

Oh, and while we are chatting....Mikeeee picked up the chicks today! He, his wife, and grandchildren adored them. I showed them the difference in the feathering in what I believe to be the pullets from the cockerals. I'm predicting 3 pullets!! We shall see.

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, we're up late! lol Mine get a coffe mug to drink out of while in the brooder so they don't want too much of a mess. That duck is also a puppet and they LOOOOOVE it when i put those hand warmers inside of the duck. Then when they sleep under the wing or snuggle in it's back it's nice an warm. Peter had a dumbo in his box, lol, because it has big ears like wings and it's wearing a collar i can put hand warmers into. I also scotchgaurded the puppet before i gave it to them so it would repel some water/poop. But it does get washed like one a week. I also put down little rags in front of the mirror so they don't have to sleep on shavings. I change the rag every other day or so, until it gets poopy. I bought like 18 of them from walmart for maybe 4 dollars? I just do seperate ducky washes when it's laundry time. lol.

Hey Claudia, quick question, do you know any at all who might be able to vent sex my little pekin? I don't think i told you yet, by they moved up my surgery and i have to finish thei new pen before i go under. And I won't get the tell tale signs of quacking or feathers before i have to finish it. I have two good designs based on if i have four girls or 3 girls 1 boy. Both work out in my small space, but they have to be put together differently, and even with really good instructions, david wont be able to do it, lol he's brain dead when it comes to anything creative. Any thoughts? Even if some one thinks that can do chickens? I'll pay a fee to who ever helps me. (i'm getting a little desperate, lol)

5. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Hahahaha.....girl, I'm always reading your post Nettie!! When I saw your post about vent sexing I took my whole bunch out to see if I can tell a difference between a girl and a boy. I think I saw a difference but not enough to be certain.

There is a lady in Harpersville that is a breeder to many types of poultry, ducks and geese included. Very nice lady... that is not on BYC but stays active in auction sights. I will call her tomorrow and see if she can help. Anything for you girl!!

6. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    thank you claudia!

The babies made it through the night in their new homes with out too much peeping/unhappiness. I let them spend about 3 hours together his morning playing in Sammy's box while i napped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by