1st bator-Self turning??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hen House 60, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I would like to know how to turn the eggs? I will ahve to turn them myself. I am going to place them in a carton with the bottoms cut out. I have the really large old cabinet style bator. Do I just tile the eggs from side to side with the large end up? Or do I leave them on their sides and turn side to side with the large end up a little???
    Need help soon I am going to put them in this afternoon.

Thanks so much

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Either system would work!! [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    If you don't have a turner it is easier to put them in cartons large end up. Then instead of turning each egg and having to open bator so much you can put something under the bator that will tilt the eggs and just move it to the other side to tilt again.

A turner is really a tilter. It doesn't completely turn the egg from side to side. It tilts them 6 times in 24 hours.

If you try to do this without putting them in the carton then when you shift them they may roll into one another and crack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  4. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    There is no way for me to lift this thing, its huge. Its really heavy.
    I thought about trying to prop up the carton somehow inside the tray. But the screen on the top does not leave much room to put anyting else in there.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Tilting the bator doesn't work with a cabinet or with any bator your using the water trays in. The water will just run out the vent holes of smaller bators. I use cardboard trays instead of cartons. They take up less space. Then I just cut a chunk off another tray and use it to hold up the end of the tray switching sides 3 times a day.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    then put a X in pencil on one side of each egg. lay them all on X side. Next time you turn you will turn to the non X side. This way you can keep track of which ones have been turned and in what direction. Try to keep a log next to bator to keep track of the times you are turning them so you turn them close to the same time every day. I would not turn them any less than 4 or 5 times a day at the same time.

Have fun and try to enjoy !

Let us know how it goes. OK ! [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You should turn 3 or 5 times unless you know you can turn them an even number of hours throughout the day and night. The odd time makes it so a different side is up at different times each day so if you don't turn them for 10hours over the night (or you work and are gone all day) the same side won't sit up for 10hours every night and the same side down for a much shorter time throughout the day.

8. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. Every little tid bit is helpful to me. I value everyones opinion and all the different ways to complete the same goal.
    I have it figured out , for the moment. I removed on of the eight trays in the cabinet and put the one that I am using back in slanted. I will just pull it back out and slant it in the opposite direction. This will create a left to right tilt. My water trays are on the top of this thing so they won't be affected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by