1st Broody Hen, Cold Winter Months

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lynzi777, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    So I have my first broody silkie hen. I went to collect eggs from the nest boxes, she got up when I opened the door, went to get some water and came back right away. She's been sitting on them ever since and I've decided to leave them there with her because I really would like to try hatching some chicks. However, I do live in Upstate NY and even though today is a whopping 64 degrees, tomorrow is expected to drop back down into the 30s and I'm sure get even colder as winter approaches. I've been doing a lot of reading on what others have done when they have a broody hen in winter and I'm torn on what to do. Do I bring her inside? Do I leave her alone? Do I wait until some start to hatch and THEN bring them inside to be placed under a heat lamp? I'd really like to get the enjoyment of watching her raise these chicks (IF any hatch) on her own. It'll be Christmas around the time they hatch. How should I go about doing this??

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hummm... If it was me I would probably give her a few dummy eggs, buy a small incubator and fertile eggs and swap the eggs out on her with 4 or 5 days to go before hatching. Or just give her a week or two and see if you can buy any chicks, though that is unlikely this time of year.

You should check out the old fashion broody information thread. There are some people on that thread who have hatched with broodies in winter but I don't know what their climates were like. One was fairly chilly at least.

3. smedly9921

smedly9921 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    North East Ohio
    I think she will do fine. Just let her go. Even though it is colder she should be just fine. She will keep the chicks warm after they hatch. Just keep the food and water plentiful. Maybe even a nice secluded area in the coop for her to sit on the eggs in peace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by