1st BROWN EGG!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NatureLove11, Dec 21, 2010.

1. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Today when is was taking care of the girls i noticed something that looked like a rock to me and didnt think anything of it until one of the girls went over and rolled it to the side. I was so excited that i ripped off the top to their box/house thing and pushed her out off the way [​IMG] felt kinda bad but not really because i got an egg. Now if i can get the other 7 brown egglayers to lay [​IMG]. I also need to get my leghorns to catch up as well one of them started to lay for me on sat got 2 eggs from her so far. So in other words 2 of 17 have started to lay [​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Congrats! This time of year its difficult for a hen to start laying. Not enough sunlight. Don't be surprised if several wait until spring. The leghorns should lay though - they don't care about the amount of light.

3. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Congrats!! I'm keep my fingers crossed for my girls, they're just 18 weeks!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Hang in there. even my leghorn didn't lay til 22 wks.

6. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] good for you!! hope they all start soon.. today i got 4 BROWN eggs. i am amazed it is the first time that all 4 of my barred rock pullets decided to lay an egg all on the same day. yesterday was 3 brown and the day before 2 brown. right now my leghorn is laying a huge egg every other day. and my EEs have all started giving me nice eggs every other day..2 green 1 blue [​IMG]

today 6/9
    yesterday 6/9

two days in a row i got 6 EGGS!!! [​IMG] finally we went from maybe 6 eggs a week a month ago to 6 eggs a DAY!! dont worry as soon as you stop looking so much, they will start putting them in there! thats what they did to me...we went away for 1 night and got home after dark the next day so i didnt check...then i went out the next morning and i had 3 eggs from the day before, 1 was GREEN!! and then later that day we got 3 more!!

Naturelove - where are you?? - like midget farms said - the sunlight this time of year will effect their laying...a few weeks ago i was only getting 1 or 2 eggs every 2 days! so i put 2 small strands (with 10 lights each) of white xmas lights in the coop and only put them on if the afternoons are really dark for a few hours and now we are getting 6 eggs a day! my coop is in the back yard and doesnt get very much light in general so i dont know if the lights did it or the girls where finally all ready [​IMG] but whatever the reason, merry xmas to me! [​IMG]
    if anything come spring you will have lots of eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by