1st candeling!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kwynn's birds Alaska, Mar 27, 2009.

1. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    In my bator i have a dozen... all mixed eggs..3 EE, 3 from a different EE 2 leghorns, 1 australorp, and 3 sexlink eggs, fertilized by my SSH. I'm supposed to candle today, but since the motor on my turner died, i have to turn them by hand. I couldn't help but stick the flashlight behind a couple. I see definate veigning in the leghorn eggs, and a few in the green eggs. It was hard to see in a brown one, and i wanted to hurry and close the bator. Now I'm excited as ever, since this is going to be the first hatch this spring...
    [​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm so excited for you! I'm afraid to look at mine . . .

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I know isn't it cool I am going through my first rookie hatch myself, candled at day 10 and it was great to see 99% of them doing good in development. and in my homemade bator to boot.

AL

4. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    I used to candel at 6 - 12 - 18 days but now don't see the point and only candel on the 18th day when I stop turning. My hatch rate has gone up and leaving un fertile eggs till the 18th day seems to do no harm. In my eye's the less you handel the egg the better.

5. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I was real quick about it, I just set the light behind the eggs. Now that it looks like everything is going ok, I think I can handle waiting to candle again. I'm so glad I checked the turner before I set eggs in, rather than finding out after... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by