1st candling went great! Is it too soon to talk about chick food?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jayers, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    :DWoo Hoo!

I brought in my expert neighbor for my first candling, thank goodness, because I saw only one positive where she was able to point out six + one questionable. The dud was apparent to both of us, I suspected all along it was bad - it was very small and I had noticed it was starting to weep. We promply dissected it so the kids could see what was on the inside.

I am still telling myself 50% is the average result from a hatch, but I am very happy.

I just can't help but look forward to the next step! Tell me what food you will start your chicks on out there. Medicated or non-medicated? I will only have two opportunities in the next 2 1/2 weeks to get to Farm & Fleet. What's your recommendation?[​IMG]
    Is anyone going organic?

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I never feed medicated chick starter - don't believe in putting medications in them unless they are ill. Some people do use the medicated, though. Lots of people on here use organic feeds for their chickens with great results. It really just depends on your preference and what's available to you in your area. As long as it's a good quality feed, then your chicks should develop and grow without any problems.

What kind of eggs are you incubating?

Lori

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Deleted because I somehow managed to post this twice!!!! OOOPS!!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    I am hatching Australorps. I started "just to give the kids the experience of watching chicks hatch, won't that be nice!" and I think it will turn into me building a chicken coop. Just Don't Tell My Husband.

It's amazing how many of my neighbors have been an advocate of (me) keeping chickens. They tick off the advantages including eggs, until I point out they all might be roos!

I think my next stratigic argument for keeping them will be "let's let the kids enter them in the county fair, won't that be nice!"[​IMG]

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    what does weeping mean? I just did my first candling too.

6. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Quote:Ha ha. That's how I started too.....only I finally managed to talk my hubby into building the coop (he hates it when I use his tools). That was 2 years ago. Now he even will feed them and collect eggs....and he's expanding the run this spring to twice it's size....

I figure with the run being twice the size that I can have more chickens (so I put 36 eggs in my incubator and bought 4 white silkies..........)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by