1st chick hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5 Bird Bob, Apr 1, 2016.

1. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I was planning on some hatching this weekend. I'm working in the city. My honey just called and said 1 egg hatched.no april fools joke, she sent a pic also. There are 11 more to go. What should I tell her to do till I get home? This is our first successful hatch for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    There is nothing for her to do. The chicks will be fine in the incubator until you get home. Saturday???

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My suggestion is that she chop up some fruit, mix that in a bowl of vanilla ice cream, and chill while she watches that chick and the rest of the action. There is no reason for her to do anything inside the incubator as long as the humidity stays up.

4. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    Thanks. I just lost my common sense cause I was not near. Well, I found it, and this morning six chix are doing fine. This is so cool! My son came to watch the whole thing.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is exciting, no matter how many times we do it. How many will hatch, what will they look like, and all that. There is just something about an egg turning into a chick. And as you said, it is a successful hatch. Congratulations. Glad your son got to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by