1st Chicken OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Claudias Coop, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Just got my first 1 year old hen, an Ameraucana from a Rehome situation. Apparently there flock of about 8 had free range in there back yard. After it was ruined they decided to Rehome the flock.
    When I arrived they were in the garage. I brought home in a pet carrier & introduced her to her new diggs. She was pecking at greens & eating crumbles & drinking within an hour. Seems happy.
    About 5 PM dusk she retreated to her coop & up on a roost. Where I believe she spent the night, & where I found her at 7 AM. I changed the water & put out feed, Oyster Shell, & a "treat" of Apple, she has come off the roost & but is sitting in the coop. It is now 10:30 AM & I have not seen her come out for food or drink. Should I put her out?
    How long should I wait.
    Morgan Hill, Ca.

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    id leave her. she'll come out when she's ready. the surroundings are new to her and shes alone so probably feeling rather scared. did she not come with friends? a chicken used to living in a flock who is then suddenly alone could get depressed, could you not get her a friend?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Yes, I had planned on another 4 mo. old Brahma, but when I arrived he announced he could no be completely sure it was a Hen & not a Roo. Since its size was on the larger size for its age.
    I cannot have Roosers, so I had to pass. The others were spoken for.
    I am now in the process of looking for another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by