1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st chicks I've owned

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CKFchicks, Oct 26, 2015.

1. CKFchicks

CKFchicks New Egg

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    This is the first time we've had chickens, so I'm researching the do's and don'ts. I have two Barred Rocks, two Rhode Island Reds, one New Hampshire, and one mystery white chick with a couple of black specks on it. Out of the 2-3 dozen eggs in the incubator last week at our Extension FARMtastic event for children, this was the only white chick. I've thought about raising chickens in recent years as several of my local friends have been talking about theirs, so this was the perfect opportunity to take some home and get started!

My husband (of 40 years!) and I live on the farm, and our children are grown with families of their own in other towns. We have plenty of room for the chicks, but we also have many, many predators, so that will be one of the challenges.

I've already enjoyed reading the forums and educational files, so I'm looking forward to being a part of the group.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the help and fun!

Once that white chick grows up a bit, you can post a picture in our What Breed and Gender section for more help with it's ID.

Predators sure are troublesome. Make sure to build your coop and run like fort knox. If you feel safe sleeping in there, then your chickens are safe. Predators have tons of time on their hands in the night and will work at something until they get in, knowing there is a meal on the other side.

As for free ranging, if you have too many predators, you may want to do supervised free ranging only. I have all kinds of predators too and can't leave my birds outside unsupervised. I let them out in a large fenced off area for a couple or few hours day, but I am always out and about in the yard or checking on while they are out there. The rest of their time they are kept in a very large run with plenty of room.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

TwoCrows has given you excellent advice regarding predators.

If you haven't already done so, you should visit the learning center, there are so many articles there to help with raising and managing your flock.

Good luck in your adventure.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    and also a Ft.Knox run with cover - you may benefit from running some electrified fencing just beyond your coop and run. It could change predator thinking before they have a chance to zero in on your flock.

Birds that have never free ranged don't miss it. If you free range, you have to accept that 'some" loss to predators is part of the picture.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Two Crows has given you some excellent advice. X2 on sunflour; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on getting your first flock!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by