1st Coop Build Let me know what you think! Pics included

aurorasky

Hatching
Feb 26, 2016

So my questions are:

1) Is it OK how I've installed the roosts? Do they need to be more secured?

2) I am planing on covering the triangular sections under roof with hardware cloth for ventilation. Is that enough? I'm in the NW so it only comes up to 95 at the hottest, and its 13 or so coldest.

3) Should I put more windows on either side of the door opening? Either plexiglass or mesh? If I did that they would be at level with the chickens on the roosts.

My roosts are all about 18" off the floor and I am putting 3 in that are maybe 2 ft apart.
The coop is 4'x8' and I am putting a plastic white corrugated roof on top.
Plus if you see anything else I should change let me know too!
And I'm aware its a mesh floor and I could have issues later on. I figure I'll try it and if I hate it later I'll put wood down and do a deep litter method or something.

it looks like you have plenty of ventilation just depends on the weather conditions you have to deal w in your area. As for the roosts they look a little skinny. The wider they are the easier it will be for them to balance. I used 2-3 inch round tree limbs in my coop. Other than that It looks really good. I also have a 4

Thanks! Oh no! Those closet rods were pricey. Good idea for what to change them with. Can't beat free. :) When I was painting the inside I immediately wished I built a walk-in coop. Crawling in and crouching was a huge pain. Hopefully I won't have to crawl in for cleaning...

This is a pic of mine before a cost of brown paint and external nesting boxes. I put It together in a hurry and my husband told me It looked like an outhouse lol. But the steel for the roof and the rough saw siding was FREE.

closet rods are fine for roost bars. I would predrill them, and attach with a screw thru the rod tho.

since the coop looks tall, I'd consider moving the roosts higher, help keep them from roosting in the nesting boxes.

I would add a large door on one side, not that I expect you to have to clean much, with the hardware cloth floor, but it would be nice if you had to pull a chicken out.

Thanks everyone so far for all the ideas! How much higher than the nest box? I was also wondering what size do you make the chicken door for full size ladies? I was thinking of putting one under the handle on the front, but would the bar be in their way?

Back
Top Bottom