1st coop build - open air - predator proof hopefully

Bac2wild

Songster
Mar 12, 2023
South Central Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, we are new to chickens and this is my 1st coop attempt. After seeing a lot of excellent ideas on BYC and taking stock of what I had on hand this is what I came up with. Any pointers welcome. The goal is an open air, predator proof, and simple design. I had an old chain link dog kennel, metal roofing scrap and leftovers -all old, some hardware cloth, electric fencing wire. I did have to buy 1 box of roofing screws, a 3'x50' roll of 1"chicken wire, and 1 movable electric fence post - $53.00 so far. It has the metal "roofing" walls buried 1ft down into the ground- as well as the hardware cloth.

Attachments

• baccoop3.JPG
    baccoop3.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Baccoop1.JPG
    Baccoop1.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Baccoop2.JPG
    Baccoop2.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 89
  • baccoop4.JPG
    baccoop4.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 85
Nice job using what you have on hand.
The main issue I see is the large opening between the top of the fence and the roof.

Also your chicks look feathered out, so the heat lamp shouldn't be needed.
Thanks, yes that was earlier in the build, the whole shot pic shows those filled in, though I still need to get the compressor out there to staple the wire to the wood.

Welcome!
'Relatively safe', yes. 'Predator proof', no. Any opening larger than 1/2" diameter allows rats and weasels inside, both of whom will be bad in your coop. Also, your hardware cloth isn't much of an apron below. Is there more of an anti-dig foundation that's not obvious under the hardware cloth?
The electric fencing is good, except at the door? And make it hot!
I don't see how your hardware cloth is attached either.
Also, a roost bar near that chainlink will allow raccoons to reach in at night, not good.
This is a very nice coop, and might be safe most of the time. Bad experiences here are what had me mention the above...
Mary

Also your chicks look feathered out, so the heat lamp shouldn't be needed.

I agree that it is probably not needed, but I also think the extra heat does no harm in this case because the chicks have plenty of space to be away from it.

The goal is an open air, predator proof, and simple design.

I am having trouble seeing which size & kind of wire is in which place.

For the perch that has its ends against a wire fence, I would make sure you have hardware cloth (1/2" holes or smaller) to keep anything from reaching in to grab chickens as they sleep. Racoons are known for reaching through openings as small as 1" but are usually blocked by 1/2" holes.

Be aware snakes love eggs and young birds. They can get in through the smallest of places and will climb right up the side of the fencing.

I see you are in Florida. I am in eastern NC. Hurricanes and summer thunderstorms bring lots of wind and sideways blowing rain. You need to be able to keep them a dry area for storms. Hours of blowing rain would be scary for them. Extending the sides of the sheltered area would help with this.

With few adjustments, you have a great design for our hot and humid climate.

Welcome!
'Relatively safe', yes. 'Predator proof', no. Any opening larger than 1/2" diameter allows rats and weasels inside, both of whom will be bad in your coop. Also, your hardware cloth isn't much of an apron below. Is there more of an anti-dig foundation that's not obvious under the hardware cloth?
The electric fencing is good, except at the door? And make it hot!
I don't see how your hardware cloth is attached either.
Also, a roost bar near that chainlink will allow raccoons to reach in at night, not good.
This is a very nice coop, and might be safe most of the time. Bad experiences here are what had me mention the above...
Mary
Thanks, only thing in the weasel family here are otters and skunks, but I may have to do something about it for rats. No just hardware cloth that goes down 1ft and out 6 inches. I will wire some of the middle portions of wire in a few more places. All of the hardware cloth and chicken wire is wired to the chain-link and poles with 17ga galv. elec fence wire and safety wire pliers. Hot fence setup is what was sufficient to keep the racoons, coyotes and bears out of the trash before I got a bearproof can. A slice of ham draped over the hot wire is a excellent teacher. Roost-bar ends have 1/2" hardware cloth around the ends and are 15 inches away from the 1" chicken wire. Do you think they can still reach the chickens?

Be aware snakes love eggs and young birds. They can get in through the smallest of places and will climb right up the side of the fencing.

I see you are in Florida. I am in eastern NC. Hurricanes and summer thunderstorms bring lots of wind and sideways blowing rain. You need to be able to keep them a dry area for storms. Hours of blowing rain would be scary for them. Extending the sides of the sheltered area would help with this.

Thanks, yes I do have large coachwhips and indigo's I'm a little worried about but they might have a hard time getting through the 1-inch openings, the rest is wired tight enough and close enough, just have to get the top stappled with some one inch staples.
I agree that it is probably not needed, but I also think the extra heat does no harm in this case because the chicks have plenty of space to be away from it.

I am having trouble seeing which size & kind of wire is in which place.

For the perch that has its ends against a wire fence, I would make sure you have hardware cloth (1/2" holes or smaller) to keep anything from reaching in to grab chickens as they sleep. Racoons are known for reaching through openings as small as 1" but are usually blocked by 1/2" holes.
The wire is the chain-link fence with 1/2" hardware cloth from 1ft below ground to 2-3ft up sides, then the 1" chicken wire over the chainlink fence from 3ft high to roof.

Thanks, yes I was thinking about hurricanes and plan on using xl dog crates and moving them into the garage during the storm since we will only have 4-8 chickens max., but will have to do something for a little more protection I guess for regular thunder storms.

Back
Top Bottom