1st coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ToddPA, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ToddPA

ToddPA New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    I'm planning on building an 8'x12' Saltbox style coop. I'm going to try to document the process as I work. I also have a bunch of questions for you experienced builders. I guess my first couple of questions are about the coop base. I'm planning on having the base raised 18 inches. I'm going to build an attached run and want to have space under the coop for my hens. How should I anchor the base? My current plan is to dig some 3 foot holes and bury 4x4 treated posts in crushed gravel. Would packed dirt around the posts be sufficient? Also, do I need more than 2 posts on the 12 foot sides of the coop? I can't really use concrete right now, because of low air temp this coming weekend and next week.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    You could use concrete blocks, patio stones, deck blocks(have groves for holding 4x4 and 2x4 made for supporting decks) lots of options. Personally I wouldn't go through the trouble of of burying post.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Why don't you want to build right on the ground? That's a large coop. Cheaper, easier, faster, you need to be able to walk inside... You can add 8' to the run for about $50. The space under the coop will cost at least $500.

4. ToddPA

ToddPA New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    I wanted to avoid critters making nests/burrows underneath. There are tons of groundhogs in the area. If I mount directly on the ground, should I just mount directly on treated lumber laying on the ground?

5. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    yup treated lumber will work fine, again patio stones or blocks just to keep the whole thing from being buried or sinking.

6. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    my last coop build I left room under there for the girls to get to. NEVER again! especially not just 18", impossible to clean out or get to that 'occasional' egg that will be laid under there.
    If you're worried about something digging in from underneath, before you build cover the hole area with chicken wire (about the only thing chicken wire is good for), stake it down and build over it

[​IMG]

if you look closely, you can see some of the hens underneath. This was 2' off the ground, like I said, NEVER again

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. ToddPA

ToddPA New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Thanks for the replies. That makes things much easier. I can start building the base and floor this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. ToddPA

ToddPA New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Update on the coop build.

I have the foundation leveled. It doesn't show in the pic, but there is a 4"-5" drop from left to right.
    [​IMG]

Setting the 4x4 runners.
    [​IMG]

I have the base built, and leveled.
    [​IMG]

Using 3/4" OSB for the subfloor. Screwed down, to prevent squeaks(hopefully).

[​IMG]

More to come this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by