1st coop completed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pittsbirder, Apr 16, 2012.

1. pittsbirder

pittsbirder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ok so being this is my first coop i know its not perfect, but after about 18 hours and 250 $ this is what I got. I still have to finish the inside but other than that here goes our first chicken experience. My daughter loves the coop or as she says daddys building a chicken poop. i got these chicken at TSC easter weekend as pulletts. any idea how old they might be if their feathers are turning from fuzz to real white feathers? im guessing 2 weeks? inside im putting the pop door in a corner as to eliminate some kicking of litter out the door. and the poop board right where the barn doors open on the front. my logic is i can place food and water under there and its right up front. the nest is 12x16. i left a 2 inch gap near the roof for upper ventalation, is this too much? my neighbor helped me but changed my plan and it lead to a screw up on the front side leading to problems on the back sides but it will be all pieced together and work out ok i think. well thanks for looking. most sites warn people these hobbies are addicting and expensive, maybe we should warn newbies!!! anyway it was a blast and my little helper sure did a great job helping daddy

2. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Looks good!

I'm not too handy, so I'm trying to figure out if I should even attempt to build our coop or just buy one.

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Nice coop!

4. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    Nice coop. What kind of chickens did you buy?

5. nikka77

nikka77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    It looks real nice to me.

6. pittsbirder

pittsbirder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    they are amber link chicks...if i wasnt so handy, i would buy a shed for sure. usually homemade is cheaper or more sturdy.. for the same money i went for a much more stable unit built to last but its a lot heavier, and wont be able to be moved as easy. One thing i would have changed is have the run extend 2 feet beyond the coop so i could put the pop door on the side but now that its done. i will have to put it on the bottom. These are city chickens and as you see, neighbors are close so putn 1/2 inch walls to keep it lil quieter

7. nikka77

nikka77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Well you can add the change to the next coop. How tall is this one?

8. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Handy daddies ROCK! Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by