1st coop completed!

pittsbirder

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012

Ok so being this is my first coop i know its not perfect, but after about 18 hours and 250 $ this is what I got. I still have to finish the inside but other than that here goes our first chicken experience. My daughter loves the coop or as she says daddys building a chicken poop. i got these chicken at TSC easter weekend as pulletts. any idea how old they might be if their feathers are turning from fuzz to real white feathers? im guessing 2 weeks? inside im putting the pop door in a corner as to eliminate some kicking of litter out the door. and the poop board right where the barn doors open on the front. my logic is i can place food and water under there and its right up front. the nest is 12x16. i left a 2 inch gap near the roof for upper ventalation, is this too much? my neighbor helped me but changed my plan and it lead to a screw up on the front side leading to problems on the back sides but it will be all pieced together and work out ok i think. well thanks for looking. most sites warn people these hobbies are addicting and expensive, maybe we should warn newbies!!! anyway it was a blast and my little helper sure did a great job helping daddy

they are amber link chicks...if i wasnt so handy, i would buy a shed for sure. usually homemade is cheaper or more sturdy.. for the same money i went for a much more stable unit built to last but its a lot heavier, and wont be able to be moved as easy. One thing i would have changed is have the run extend 2 feet beyond the coop so i could put the pop door on the side but now that its done. i will have to put it on the bottom. These are city chickens and as you see, neighbors are close so putn 1/2 inch walls to keep it lil quieter

Back
Top Bottom