1st coop ever!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by childevent, Aug 20, 2011.

1. childevent

childevent Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Eureka
    A rooster (although we didn't know it at the time) showed up on our doorstep New Year's Eve. We've never had farm birds but decided to keep him. He lived in our washroom for 7 mo's & his crowing became our alarm clock. I decided to get my nephew into 4h & poultry would be it. So, after a bit of convincing my hubby, he built me a coop so we could get some girls. [​IMG][​IMG]
    And with the roof on,
    [​IMG]
    With all of the room, he didn't know what to do with himself. Being outside, he has become a different bird. He thoroughly treasures his inside-the-house time & has lost a lot of his roo-titude[​IMG]
    His first night. We didn't get time to put in the roost so I had to give him the step ladder [​IMG][​IMG]

Since it's built as a lean-to, it's about 42 square feet and solid as a rock (hubby loves to over build!). Once we see how these girls do, I would love to add a few more - you know, once you go chicken, you never go back!! We're going to add on a bachelor pad for the roo this weekend, i'll post some pics...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello and welcome to byc. glad you thought to add some friends to your rooster. i didnt see any hole for the coop? is that shed like structure going to be their home? and the run?????

good luck!

3. childevent

Mar 7, 2011
    Eureka
    No hole, the girls have a dogloo for now. This is all a work in progress, so we're adding & learning as we go. We're re-doing & installing the roost for them tonight.

4. childevent

Mar 7, 2011
    Eureka
    Here's my make-shift run. This is the first time the girls have been out since we got 'em last weekend. I wanted them to get used to the roo, us, the dogs & their surroundings before venturing any further
    [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwwwww, what a great story. He looks so happy. You all did a great job on the coop. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So has the roo seen them or have they seen the roo (in person)?? How'd that go if so?? [​IMG]

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Lookin good [​IMG]

8. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    at first I thought the building was the coop and the closed in area was the run but now I see that its a shed. Congratz on the chickens and great job!

9. childevent

Mar 7, 2011
    Eureka
    At first, the roo didn't quite know what to do but then one of the girls stuck her tail feathers in his beak & the lightbulb went off. He got to have a little fun but since that was their first day meeting him, he's been separated. I plan on introducing him again this weekend.

10. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Very very cute enclosure! Do they sleep in the doglu? Will you be adding an indoor area? You could section off an area in the shed for their indoor coop and just cut a chicken sized door for them to go in and out.

Also, do you have an apron or buried wire to keep digging predators out?

I love that you kept him in your washroom, crowing and all! Your husband is a great carpenter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by