1st coop, ventilation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CaptMom, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CaptMom

CaptMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    I'm in the process of building my first coop, chick's are due April 14th. It's actually built from shipping crates. I've left a 6" space in the front roof line and 2" space in the rear of the roof line. I haven't cut out the door, nest box space, or access door. My question is, do I have enough ventilation, too much, not enough? I live near Charleston, SC so summers are HOT and winters are mild.
    [​IMG]

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I would thinks that's enough. Also depends though if your birds will be outside all day and only in there at night when its cooler? Is there power near by and if it gets real hot and or humid can you put a fan? Also it shouldn't be an issue to add a couple more vents anywhere in the coop if you find the design isn't working for you, but I think its good enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Agreed

1 person likes this.
  4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    If they will be in there all the time, it will be too hot in summer. It may even be too hot at night because of the high humidity. Wind that would help cool it dies out in the evening in the summer here, so if you have the same type of summer, you would still need a fan.

Even though my coop was in the shade, (I am FL) I ended up putting those ice packs on the roof at their bedtime to help chill the upper area. I would wave them around inside to cool that air rapidly!
    I added way more open area with windows and enlarging vent holes.

Now my newer coop is all wire except the top and one wall. I also will be adding insulation to the roof. (Ever sit on a patio that has no insulation between you and the roof? Like an OVEN) I hang plastic and towels for bad weather, cold. My youngsters did fine with a few 30 degree nights like that. I don't secure the plastic, so they still get air exchange.

The best thing I did was getting a silver tarp for over their area. I got the heavy duty one, with brown on the other side. It makes such deep shade it is the coolest spot besides the air conditioned house. It also gives them a dry place in the rain.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. CaptMom

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    Yes, they'll be out during the day and only up at night. Also, the coop and most of the run is under the shade of some large oak trees. I do have the ability to add a fan and/or more vent windows. How will I know if they need more? I'll have 6 hens (Orps and Wyandotts) and the house is approx 30sq ft.

6. Bradfordj

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    keep a thermometer inside the coop, and keep an eye on the girls, watch for excessive panting, heavy breathing. excessive water consumption.

1 person likes this.
  7. CaptMom

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thank you! Can't wait to get my little ladies, and want to make sure I take good care of them.

8. Bradfordj

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Im sure I am missing a few signs of heat in chickens, as living in Canada I am much more concerned about winter lol. Google signs of heat in chickens, and keep an eye on them Im sure they will work out great! nice coop!

9. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

I can't see if you have a floor, or if the bottom is open to the outside, so one thing to pay attention to is how strong the odor is when you open the door in the morning. If it wafts out and and smacks you, add more windows!

You could just do a cut out saving the cutout piece and reattaching it with hinges so you can adjust it...think Bahama shutters...and, of course, install hardware cloth over the opening.

;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can't have too much ventilation; big windows, hardware cloth, and cover the north side with plastic if needed in winter. (Do you have winter?!) Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by