1st day outside in grass will they need grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pne123, May 9, 2009.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I have 2wk old RIR. It is beautiful outside so we are going to let them out in the grass in their coop tractor. I am not sure what bugs they will find and eat. should i give them grit? My store only had some funky blue medicated grit. I am guessig that is for adults cuz it had oyster shells, calcium and other things. I did by chick scratch which i know they can not have w/o grit and that it is a special treat not food. my kids have a sand box will that sand work for chick grit? should i give them some before going outside and giving them some scratch or can i just give them scratch and sand at the same time?

2. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    They will need some grit to digest any bugs they do eat. We got some chick grit at the farm supply store, which is pink, crushed granite, I believe, I like to offer it free choice in the brooder and outside. Not sure about sandbox sand.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Turn them out in the driveway for an hour or so, they'll pick up the small pieces of crushed gravel there.

I dont give mine grit once theyre outside unless theyre going to be stuck in an extremely dirt and rock free area for a few days.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    If there is dirt and pebbles around then you won't need to buy grit they will find their own.

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I will swear that chickens eat dirt. [​IMG]

As small as yours are they will find grit in among the grass roots. Sidewalks and driveways also have grit. I'd stay away from the oyster shell until they started laying.

Watch them when they are outside and if they start to huddle you may want to take them back inside. Or if they seem comfortable in the huddle just let them relax in the sun.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by