1st Duck Egg - Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chantelhatt, Mar 11, 2015.

1. chantelhatt

chantelhatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    I had my first duck egg roll out of the duck house this morning, and I do not know what to do with it. I know it has potential to be a little one so I'm stumped. My husband suggested for me to put it back in the house. The house has 7 ducks in total in there so I have no idea who laid the egg and I am scared it will either get broken or cold. What is your guys suggestion on what to do with it?

2. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Do you have a nest box? Is this the first egg your duck has ever laid? Do you have males with females together? There's probably going to be more if they mated. If you want ducklings keep it with the mother if not than discard it.

3. chantelhatt

chantelhatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    No I dont have individual nesting boxes in the house, yes this is my first egg ever, yes there are males and females in the same house, and yes we want ducklings

4. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    The first egg might be a dud. If they are fertile you should have more than one egg. In that case you can check fertility by cracking one open and checking the yolk to see if it is indeed fertile, or you can just let nanature take its course. If the duck isn't sitting on them theb you would have to incubate them.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it's the very first egg then more than likely she'll lay more before going broody, what breed are you talking about. And even if it's fertile it won't have a duckling till she begin to incubate the eggs so any eggs laid till then are edible.I'd open this one and check for the bulls eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by