1st Easter Egg!!! Updated 10-13/ post #6

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dawn419, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG]

I've been checking the nest boxes everyday since the gang turned 18 weeks. At 19 1/2 weeks our Mottled Cochins began laying.

I've noticed StaPuff, our Splash Silky had been spending alot of time up in the coop, staring at the nest box. A few days ago, on an egg check, I noticed the hay had been wallowed around in and have been checking it a few times a day, waiting expectantly.

Today was the day...

[​IMG]

Freshly laid Mottled Cochin egg on the left, StaPuff's first egg on the right...

[​IMG]

C'mon EE ladies...I know ya wanna lay me some Easter Eggs! [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    It took 28 weeks for me to get my first EE egg today
    [​IMG]
    Thought it was never going to happen! One EE laying one to go...
    Congrats on the silkie egg Dawn!

3. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Zenbirder,

Congrats on your first EE egg! [​IMG]

Our gals will be 22 weeks old this coming Monday and I'm over-joyed that atleast our Mottled Cochins and now the Silkies have been laying. That leaves me waiting on 3 EE's, 1 Blue Silky and 1 Silver Sebright gal to "get-with-the-program". [​IMG]

Dawn

4. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    Was the silkie egg bigger than you expected?? I had an egg the other day that wasa different color than any I have gotten yet. It was the size of a pullet egg, like the rest, but it was a light tan color. Not white, not brown but beige-ish.
    I wonder if a silkie laid (but I thought their first egg would be noticably smaller). Or, it may be that one of my EE's lays these beige eggs, since I have not gotten more than 2 green eggs at a time (I have 3 EE's). It was kinda like the color of you silkie egg. I was not expecting them to lay for another few weeks.

5. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:The Silky egg was bigger & earlier than I expected!

Our Silkies are seperated from our Mottled Cochin and EE's so I know for a fact that its a Silky egg. The flock just turned 21 weeks and I was surprised to get the Mottled Cochin eggs at 19 and a half weeks. I must being doing something right!?!

Dawn

6. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG]

Well, I checked eggs around noon...1 Silky egg and 1 MC egg, with 1 MC in the nest. Went out to feed, checked the boxes, there's the MC egg I was expecting. Then lo and behold...I notice Goldie Hen , one of our EE's, is messing around with something underneath her in a wallow she had made in the coop litter (pine shavings). It's the prettiest Olive Green color...

[​IMG]

Eggs from the gals, from left to right: EE, MC, Silky, MC, Silky...

[​IMG]

Well, gonna go set up another nest box with pine shavings for Goldie.

Edited cuz I was egg-cited and messed up the pix!!!

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, (sighs), that is a gorgeous shade of green. Congrats, I have to get me some EEs.

8. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:You should! I love our EE's!

I wish I'd still had the camera outside as the look on Goldie's face was priceless! She's looking between her legs, at the egg, like "what the fudge is this and where did it come from!?". [​IMG]

I also can't believe she laid this soon! I knew I still had 3 or 4 weeks to wait! [​IMG]

Dawn

9. josee5

josee5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2007
    Iowa
    [​IMG] Pretty eggs. I love my EE. If you just want pretty eggs they are the greatest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by