1st Egg! 1st Egg! Er... 2nd Egg! 2nd Egg! Ah, now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krturpie, Feb 21, 2008.

1. krturpie

krturpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Our PR pullet laid her first two eggs! We're so proud of her. One right after the other and only a day apart. There slightly pinkish tan, narrow and medium size (a little smaller than I expected for PR).

Ok. Now what do I do? Let her cherish them? Or collect them for breakfast?

If I decide collect them for breakfast, then I have a question:
    She just started recently on layer pellets and before was eating growth crumple (southern states brand). Someone told me that the growth feed is usually medicated (although it doesn't say that anywhere on the bag) and that one probably wouldn't want to eat the eggs if the chicken was on a medicated feed.

Is this really a problem with the brand feed she was on? If so, then how long does she need to be off of that feed before her eggs are ok?

Regarding the cherishing part, we did take the first egg inside for a bit, but she kept circling her nest and looking for it. So we put it back and she laid another one next to it. She seems broodily content now. [​IMG] Do you just take the eggs? I heard of people replacing them with golfballs [​IMG]. I'm just not familiar enough with chicken psychology to know the best way.

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    It's breakfast time!!!

start frying those eggs up, you PR will be OK without them.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*golfballs didn't fool mine-- but she kinda likes the fake ceramic eggs I bought for her @ the Cracker Barrel!! They keep em behind the ctr-- you have to ask for them. [​IMG]

4. krturpie

krturpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I might wait for the next three or four... these two are kind of small for an omelette or even a small batch of scrambled eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by