1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st Egg - 9 1/2 Months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slf_fry, Jan 24, 2010.

1. slf_fry

slf_fry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Loveland,Ohio
    My 3 hens were hatched 5/9/09. My BO started laying a few months ago and my Aracuana laid her 1st green egg today. My partridge rock also laid her 1st egg this week. They must be sensing spring is in the air! It's funny, but not, that a few days ago I could have sworn my Aracuana had gape worms. She kep her mouth wide open and made some awful sounds and hiccup noises. This went on for 2 days and I was getting ready to medicate her. Must just ahve been her vocal way of letting me know and egg was on the way.

For those counting the days to their 1st eggs and wondering why they are not laying, just be patient and enjoy your hens. The eggs will come in due time and be worth it. My little green torpedo of an egg is awesome.

Sandy

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Mine hatched around 6/6/09 and their first eggs came at 16 weeks, in October. You can never tell, but breed does make some difference on average. My earliest layers were golden comets and the other 3 breeds chimed in within 2 weeks of that. they are black aussies, RIR, and barred rock.

3. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Well said!

4. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    my old ee hen was 9 months old before giving me one darn green egg. I swear they mature much slower than most other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by