1st egg a disaster...what happend!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreenSpirit Hydro, Jun 12, 2009.

1. GreenSpirit Hydro

GreenSpirit Hydro In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    I found one of my Red Star's in the hatching section of my Eglu and I knew she was putting her first egg out. Later I investigated and found nothing put a yolk covered in ants? What gives? There was no shell just egg yolk. Did she or one of the other chickens eat the shell and leave the yolk? Did she crush the shell to oblivion? Any thoughts?

2. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't call that a disaster. Give the poor girl some credit where credit is due, its her first egg, give her a break and some osyter shells. I'm sure the next one will be better.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    maybe she just layed the yolk sometimes first eggs are different i sugject oyster shell and what is she eating now?

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    It is pretty common for the first egg to be shelless. It may happen more than once. Don't worry though, she will get it figured out soon. Congrats on your first egg!!

5. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

I think it's fairly normal to have abnormal eggs in new-layers. It sounds like she just laid a yolk with no shell at all. I would put out some oyster shell if you haven't already and hope for the best! [​IMG]

6. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    Been feeding the chickens a "grower" feed from Tractor Supply. Should I give them oyster shells or just start them on the "layer" food?

7. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would offer oyster shells at all times for extra calcium. Places that sell chicken feed should sell oyster shells as well.

8. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    Mix the oyster shell w/ their feed or just give them a separate pile to munch on?

9. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Switch to Layer and provide the shells separately. If you mix the shells with the food, they are more likely to dump more food out when they don't feel like eating the oyster shell. I offer mine in a little cup that clips on the wire; I think it's a rabbit food cup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: