1st egg, fart egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Sep 15, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i just found a teeny tiny (fart?) egg in the hen house...and cant decide who its from..1 have three pullets aged between 18 and 20 weeks 1 araucana cross and 2 of unknown breed

the egg is about 3cm long, light brown in colour with dark brown freckles.

the only other thing i could think of is its from an older hen, but my only old hen is a white chicken who lays white eggs.

so im hoping one of my youngsters has started laying, is it usual for a 'first' egg to be so tiny??????

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    no its not unusual. They will lay small or large eggs but usually they are small. I had one lay an egg just a little larger than a robins egg only brown. it was so cute. When I cracked it open it was perfectly formed with a tiny yolk.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It is my understanding that they can appear at any time from a chicken of any age. Just one of those things.

But it is great that they are feeling well enough to start laying again! Is everyone back to normal now?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

All my pullet eggs were very small (although not THAT small...lol). So yes, it's very possible that it's from one of your pullets. At that small, I wonder if it even has a yolk???

5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:agreed

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    highlander..everybody is back to normal now except one young pullet of 25 weeks old, but her symptoms are different to that of the others so unsure what is wrong with her. sadly 2 days ago someone let their dog loose in our field so we lost a fair few chickens..but for the rest everybody is doing great [​IMG])) (no doubt thanks to your help and advice [​IMG])))))

7. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    One of our girls layed an egg the size of a pecan, and she was about 8 months old at the time, it was adorable and when we opened it up it was perfect...I should have taken a picture :eek:) My husband thought it was hilarious !!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Generally speaking a "fart" or wind egg is a misfire with no yolk. If it is complete, it is just a small egg. In my time with regular chickens, I've never had an experienced layer lay a perfect small egg--that is usually reserved for pullets--but have had a number of "fart eggs. I always save them for the grandkids when they come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by