1st. Egg Malfunction

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephen518, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    I went out to gather eggs today and this is what I found. They have been laying now for just over one month and I have not had any problems. Can anyone shed some light as to the problem that caused this malfunction? No Shell !
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's normal in new layers. No problems unless it continues.

3. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I like to call those Jello eggs.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I had this happen the very first time my BSL laid, and it happens from time to time with some of the girls. I find that even with layer feed and free-choice oyster shell it still sometimes happens. However, my girls have been laying for over a year now and it is less frequent (not that it often occurred before). It could be that your pullet is just working the kinks out of her "plumbing". If she's acting a bit off, she should be back to her self in a day or so. I wouldn't worry about it unless it begins happening often.

5. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I got one that wasn't broken! My boxes have "curtains" on them. I saw my BR is there so i was like i will come back when shes done..so i came back after a bit saw she wasn't in there and started to grope around for the egg "Ah Ha there it is" I put my fingers around the warm egg and jerked my hand back and ripped open the curtains and there it was the first soft shell egg.. I brought it in to show the dh and i washed it and out it in a bag...wound up boiling it and giving it to my dog..that was funny. Ever give a dog an egg? but to get to the point..this BR lays crazy eggs! I got a "pullet bullet" from her, as long as my middle finger..double yoker and then I got another GIANT egg the other day..i bet its a double yoker. so maybe the next weird egg you get you know who it is?

6. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    I got one last month that was a soft shell and egg-white stuff covering a regular shelled egg. Very weird.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:I like that description.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by