1st egg signs?

mc79

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Clarksville, TN
I've been raising chickens for a long time, but first time duck owner. I have a Khaki Campbell who will be reaching egg laying age around mid September, give or take. I was wondering if ducks show any signs of getting ready to lay their first egg. In my experience with chickens, when they are going to lay for the first time, they will start to "squat" when you reach out to pet them. Just wondering if ducks have a tell-tale sign or not. Thanks!

Yes they will squat and it usually means they are ready to mate which mean egg laying isn't to far off either.

I haven't seen her squat yet, but as far as mating goes, that ship already sailed. I also have a male Muscovy, which is triple her size, that has been mating with her for a while now, whether she is ready or not. I have to say, he definitely forces it. A lot of times she tries to get away from him but he pins her down and does his business. So whenever she does start laying eggs, they will definitely be fertilized. Maybe in the spring, I'll incubate some and have some Muscovy/Khaki Campbell crosses. But for now, I'm just looking forward to having some good duck eggs for baking.

Following for the information, I have a female getting close to that age as well. Boys are ready to mate but she isn't. They try to put the moves on her and she won't give either of them the time of day.

Back
Top Bottom