1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st egg soft shelled and ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deertrailchick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. deertrailchick

deertrailchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Oh gross, I walked up to the outdoor area of my coop and one of my Buff Orpington's was eating what appeared to be a very soft shell. I looked into the coop where I have had only one RR nesting (I have 4 RR's ranging from 3 - 5 months and 2 Buff Orp's at 5 months). When I looked at where she has been nesting, there is this bright yellow stuff (not poop) sticking to the straw.

My guess is that my RR layed her first egg and it must have been soft shelled and the Buff Orp took it and ate it. Is this a common thing among chickens? I have no idea. I know that first eggs can be weird but does anyone have any answers?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It could have been a soft shelled egg. Do they have 24/7 access to oyster shells?

It could have been a regular egg that was cracked and eaten by one of the chickens. That's a terrible behavior to have your chickens start. Did you find any shell at all?

Sometimes chickens do lay soft shell (or even shell-less) eggs but it should only happen on rare occasions.

3. deertrailchick

deertrailchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    I am new at having chickens and just yesterday my kids mentioned that there should be cuttle bones on the ground for the chickens. Never thought of that myself and the guy at the store where I buy feed never said anything when I asked what they need.

I feed "Egg Maker" by Manna Pro but I will go today to get calcium supplements. Also, I am still not 100% sure it was an egg shell I saw but it is the only explanation I have. So, still waiting for another egg to verify in my mind that I have a layer.

Thanks for the reply.

Theresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by