1st egg today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmix, Jul 11, 2010.

1. chickmix

chickmix Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    St Louis, Mo
    Had my first egg from a Red Star. [​IMG] She is one day short of 17 weeks. She laid it in the shavings in the coop. Hopefully she'll learn what the nest is for.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Congrats! and you might try putting a fake egg/golf ball in the nest to show her where to lay.

3. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Can't wait, I have 6 Red Stars and they just turned 17 weeks today... Love them, they are all very good girls...

4. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Anyone else with Red Stars care to chime in?

5. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Awesome! Definitely put golf balls or something that look like eggs in their nesting box. When I did an experiment and took out the golf balls from 2 of my 3 nesting boxes, all the girls avoided those nesting boxes and all laid in the one box.

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I have a production red, 18 1/2 weeks, and NOTHING so far..... she is making an awful lot of noise lately, though, so maybe soon......

7. chickmix

chickmix Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    St Louis, Mo
    two more eggs today but I don't know from who. I have golf balls in the nest boxes, but they still lay in the shavings. I have hay in the boxes and shavings on the floor of the coop. Think I might try putting shavings in the boxes.

8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Does anyone else here glance into the nest boxes from afar and get excited for a split second before realizing that it is a golfball, not an egg, laying in the shavings? sigh.......

9. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:One of my 3 production reds started laying right at 19 weeks. So far she's laid a total of 10, and has laid 6 in a row so far. The eggs are small though mostly because the one who's laying is half the size of the others. My other 2 reds should start in 1-3 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  10. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:This works for our hens when learning where to lay... congratulations:D!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by