1st Egg!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GothChick, Jan 17, 2011.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So I FINALLY got my first egg. All of my chickens and quail have been holding out and finally an egg! One of my Coturnix laid a pretty little speckled egg in the nest box. I'm so happy! I really want to hatch it because I need more quail but I don't know if it pays to start up the incubator for 1 little egg. How long can I wait to collect more eggs before it goes bad?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very good, enjoy!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Fertility Should Be Good For 7 Days Then It Starts To Drop...

Congrats On The Egg!

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    x2

5. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! Hopefully the other 2 hens start laying too. Otherwise I will have to start up my big incubator for only 7 eggs. LOL! I don't think the auto-turner will work with such a small number of eggs. I have a Brower Top Hatch so it needs each section to be full to turn the eggs properly.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Do you keep them inside or have lights on them? If not, it might not be fertile, you should probably check for a bullseye before getting your hopes up too much [​IMG]

7. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Currently I have them indoors and they a have artificial lighting. I only have 3 hens with 1 male right now so they are still easy to keep indoors. I plan to move them outside onto my balcony when I get larger numbers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by