1st Ever Broody & have questions

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
I have my 1st broody. She is a year. The night before last I went to collect eggs (my hens are evening layers) and she was still on the nest. So when I went back the nest morning to let them out she was still there.
yippiechickie.gif
Yeah!! So this morning when I went to let them out she comes running out the door and I checked the nest and another hen was there. So I had to go to town and when I got back (5 hrs later) she was back on the nest and there was 1 extra egg added.
What should I do?
Should I seperate her so the others stop kicking her off the nest and adding more eggs?
Or should I just let her be?
Thanks for any help, Krista

How many eggs are there? I would let it go until there are around 6 or 7, then isolate her to others can;t get on and lay more. This is what I did, and I had a htach that lasted three days. mom stayed on until all eggs were hatched.

She had 8 then after Big Mama laid one this morning that made 9. Tonight I checked her and she is still on the nest w/ 9. The 8 are from 2 days of laying then the 1 from today. Should I stick the 3 I got tonight under her as well so that way she dont have one hatching on the 3rd day?

Back
Top Bottom