1st Ever Broody & have questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have my 1st broody. She is a year. The night before last I went to collect eggs (my hens are evening layers) and she was still on the nest. So when I went back the nest morning to let them out she was still there. [​IMG] Yeah!! So this morning when I went to let them out she comes running out the door and I checked the nest and another hen was there. So I had to go to town and when I got back (5 hrs later) she was back on the nest and there was 1 extra egg added.
    What should I do?
    Should I seperate her so the others stop kicking her off the nest and adding more eggs?
    Or should I just let her be?
    Thanks for any help, Krista

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How many eggs are there? I would let it go until there are around 6 or 7, then isolate her to others can;t get on and lay more. This is what I did, and I had a htach that lasted three days. mom stayed on until all eggs were hatched.

3. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Mine layed a clutch of 11 eggs, 8 hatched. But I agree if she is going to all that trouble let her hatch 5 or 6.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I always isolate mine in a dog crate, it keeps her calm, and other hens can't add more eggs.

5. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    She had 8 then after Big Mama laid one this morning that made 9. Tonight I checked her and she is still on the nest w/ 9. The 8 are from 2 days of laying then the 1 from today. Should I stick the 3 I got tonight under her as well so that way she dont have one hatching on the 3rd day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by