1st flock sense childhood

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Autumnswirl, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Autumnswirl

Autumnswirl Just Hatched

Jul 10, 2016
    Hi,
    Ive been getting a lot of info from this site sense mid April, and finally decided to join. I have horses, cats, a dog, and now a flock of free range chickens. Currently live in lower Georgia and will probably be here for at least 6 more years (Mil spouse). I talked my hubby into agreeing to chickens on April 14th, and went and bought 7 April 15th, then some more the next week.

I grew up in the country taking care of chickens, they were not free range but lived in a coop with a small yard. I always remember how bad I felt for them and how smelly the coop/yard was- which is part of why we are going free range with this flock. Right now they have access to about 4 acres (more really, but I only own 4...so we are going to run strips of chicken wire along the bottom of the pasture fence and keep them in with the horses- so it will end up being just a little under 4 acres) I moved them outside at about 2/3 weeks old, bringing them in every night. At 4/5 weeks they were out in a small temporary coop full time. We completed building the big coop when they were 8/9 weeks and they have been in it every night sense.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to our community - hope you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Ct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by