1st Generation Blue Australorps Hatched in Arizona!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by huppfarm, Sep 13, 2010.

1. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes!........we finally did it! we've waited nearly 2 years to develope our blues. its been a long process but worth the wait.
    they hatched out yesterday and today, with only 8 making the grand entrance to the brooder.

in order to make them an accepted variety here in the states according to the a.p.a., we need more australorp breeders interested in participating with me to develope and maintain this variety that is already in the standards of australia and europe.
    the a.p.a. wants at least 5 breeder that can document their breedings for 5 years. then put on a blue australorp a.p.a. sanctioned show, then let them determine if the variety is worthy of the "standard of perfection".

ive run acrossed some breeders online on different poultry pages but have never kept in touch or visa versa.
    anyone intersted?
    or know of anyone who might be?

looking forward to some replies
    thanks
    huppfarm

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Chester,

How did you develop them?

What other breeds did you use?

Will the feathering have lacing?

Is it actually Blue/Black and Splash or have you developed a 'true blue' variety?

Do you have any pics of the parent stock? of chicks in the brooder? of eggs, showing size and color?

I might be willing to give up my marans if they look good enough.

Guess we could meet halfway between here and Duncan to swap hatching eggs.. Unless you make regular trips to Phoenix. :0)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Didnt Halo have some Blue Australorps too?

That would be a great idea to combine the gene pool!

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    im interested. do i need a splash rooster to breed to my black hens? how did you come up with splash?

5. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I am interested, I currently have black austrolorps. We also breed blue and lavendar orpingtons and have roos of all. What did you cross with them to develop them?

6. huppfarm

Quote:you can use either splash male or female to black australorps.
    i used a splash female, the males are hard to raise for some reason.
    i hatched out 5 splash when i bred my blue orps to each other.
    we really need to document every thing from the beginning for 5 yrs, it will take time but will be really worth it!
    we all need to keep in touch so that we can do some egg swapping down the road.

[email protected] or [email protected]

7. huppfarm

Quote:you can use either splash male or female to black australorps.
    i used a splash female, the males are hard to raise for some reason.
    i hatched out 5 splash when i bred my blue orps to each other.
    we really need to document every thing from the beginning for 5 yrs, it will take time but will be really worth it!
    we all need to keep in touch so that we can do some egg swapping down the road.

[email protected] or [email protected]

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    so i would have to get a splash orpington roo or several splash orpington hens to make blue australorps? wouldn't a splash australorp eventually turn up from the blue ones?

9. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a young splash orpington roo and two austrolorp pullets that are laying now. When he is old enough I can supply some eggs. I just had a speckled sussex hatch out 5 chicks from a blue orp roo, they are gorgeous all blue of different shades.

10. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Can we get some Australorp pictures going? I've been doing a small amount of reading on Australorps, and pretty much everyone seems to have hatchery stock. How many BYCers out there are actually attempting to breed these to SOP?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by