1st goat to processor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lifesong Farm, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I just dropped my first goat off at the processor. I hope he tastes as good as everyone said. If so I don't need to worry about what to do with my wethers if they don't sell. I have had goat before but I don't remember much about what food tasted like when I was 4. [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Thinking about meat goats. What breed do you have and how old are they at processing?

4. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    We sell a lot of our bucks and culls from our show herd for meat- about $2.00 per pound- I cant bring myself to do it though. If we dont sell them for meat-they go to the local aucion barn. People say the meat is good, but all mine have names [​IMG]

5. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I have Oberhasli dairy goats. Jerky (honestly it was his name) was born in April so he is 9 months. I put it off because of the holidays. I have goats for milk and show. The "extra boys" are going to be fed out for our freezer, other freezers and pets. I will get stats on what his weights were when I pick up the meat.
    Just like beef. You get more meat out of a meat breed than you do a dairy breed. If all you want is meat go with a boer or a spanish. If you want both go with a dairy meat cross or a breed like it and if you want to deal more with the milkers and eat your extras... pick a breed that appeals to you.

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

My Nieces DH has Nubians that he is going to cross with a Kiko buck. Hoping for lots of milk with the boys big enough for meat. Breeding next month I think.

7. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Quote:KIKO! That's the one I couldn't remember. That cross should give nice babies.

8. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:If you bred the nubians to a boer- There would be lots of milk and meat [​IMG] I tried crossing with a kiko and all my goats looked to lean looking, but they are hardier.

9. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Quote:If you bred the nubians to a boer- There would be lots of milk and meat [​IMG] I tried crossing with a kiko and all my goats looked to lean looking, but they are hardier.

I like the Boer Nube crosses. I REALY like the ones with the spots. [​IMG]

My Obe rescue settled the goat issue for me. I fell for the breed hook line and sinker because of her.

10. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:Oh man, if I ever get sucked back into goats again, I bet you anything it'll be an Oberhasli that'll do it. [​IMG] Though I'm also partial to Alpine/Boer crosses for dual purpose...! I just don't have the time or the fence for goats right now. I do miss 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by