1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st Hatch Coturnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rhondita55, May 20, 2016.

1. rhondita55

rhondita55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Mesa Arizona
    I just hatched my very 1st batch of eggs. Just a tiny incubator. 12 eggs, after 10 days I checked and 4 weren't viable. 8 hatched.
    Cute as can be. I had never seen newly hatched Quail before. 4 solid yellow and 3 darker with stripes and 1 yellow with gold stripes.
    Parents are mixed, but I do have a Honey with a Honey.
    The little yellow with gold (Honey?) just stopped responding and died within 24 hours. Then I lost a yellow 1 today, on Day 2. It looked and acted fine, but cried a lot and then the others started picking on him.
    Any suggestions on why?
    I have 12 more in the cooker and will have the Honey or Golden problem again, I did take the female out and put her with a white male and took out 1 of his white females out and put it upstairs with the other 2 males. There are 6 females to 2 males.
    Using a double deck Rabbit hutch with shredded paper for the parents. I'll but the others outside in a small chicken coop when they are 3 weeks? I'm in the Phoenix area so getting cold isn't an issue. I can even put a lamp in the roost part.
    Advice please.........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by