1st hatch early; 1st there were 6

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by my1stchicks, Jul 6, 2010.

1. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    1st baby died trying to get out, ants got it. Moved mom and eggs to dog house; then there were 5, 1 baby drowned in downpour while I was at work [​IMG]; then there were 4, went out on Sat and only 2 babies 1 missing and mom standing over the other, looked like she may have stepped on it; found the snake [​IMG] , it is dead now and so, now there are 2 little babies left. It's been a week for sure. [​IMG]

Edited to add: but I still have 2 eggs in the incubator [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Oh no! It's so hard to lose the babies after they made it all the way to hatch time and worked so hard to get out! [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it makes you feel better, all the things that happened to your ducklings were out of your control. I forgot to add water to my hatcher to keep the humidity up last week and ended up killing at least 4 (possibly 7 - I dunno if those other eggs were going to hatch anyways though) ducklings that were pipped into the air cell and ready to hatch - killed them because I was too busy to think to add the water to the incubator that would have kept them from shrink-wrapping and suffocating. [​IMG]

Good luck with those last two eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by