1st Hatch Humidity Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spowell, Sep 25, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi all, I have 7 Japanese that were supposed to go into lockdown today. I was told to wait on lockdown as long as possible because they had not lost enough weight. Well, three pipped and I didn't know it until I opened the bator to add water. Just a teeny tiny miniscule pip. What are the chances that I shrink wrapped them? Also, I am having trouble getting the humidity over 56%, is that to low?

I have a GQF cabinet bator.

this is my first hatch ever and I'm a basket case [​IMG] Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    your humidity should be ok, just don't open it anymore. not sure exactly what your bator looks like, but some ppl use a straw or the like to add more water if needed through the little vent openings. The humidity will naturally rise as the babies hatch bc they come out all wet so at 56% I think you are alright, heck, some people do dry hatches and have a good hatch rate!

We have a tendency to worry too much and do more damage by touching eggs, moving them around and trying to make everything perfect! Do you see any more movement from the egg that pipped? Ive had them pip and then not hear or see anything for 12 hrs and thinking the chick had died, but its a lot of work breakin out of those shells so they rest inbetween.

If you have pips then they should be zipping in the next 24 hours and then they can take their time after zipping to fully pop out so don't stress too much it will be soon! [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, at this point if they are pipping then they are ready to hatch! good luck! [​IMG]

3. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:three had pipped before 6pm last night, and one more overnight. I can see that one is working again this morning. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by