1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1st hatch, I have a duckling! How long b4 I take it out of the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachel, Jul 20, 2008.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had four khaki campbell eggs, one has hatched and one has pipped and another is shaking like a jumping bean. How long after hatching should I take the duckling out and move it to a brooder box?

And after that, how long before I give it food and water? I know it could go a few days, but I didn't know what was actually best for it. I've read anywhere from right away to 3 days...

Also, rather than a "pip then zip" it was more of a "pip then wait 20 hours then make a big hole and barge out Kool-Aid guy style". Is this normal for ducks since they don't have as pointy of a beak?

2. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    I always wait until they are pretty well dry,as opening the bator releases the much needed humidity the other eggs need for hatching. I feed them gamebird starter feed,start off w/ a chick waterer,then move to a heavy cuffe mug so they don't make as big a mess.
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

not sure about ducks, but I've had the best success (with chickens and quail) when I've left them in the bator for at least 12-24 hours. I have food and water waiting in the brooder for them after that.

Congrats!!!

4. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well it's only been about 4 hours, but I think I'm going to have to move the little duckling. He/she seems to want to play kickball with the rest of the eggs, even after I put a little partition in there...
    The humidity is at 75% and we're having very humid weather because of the monsoons, so I don't think there will be any problems for the other eggs (they will probably be grateful to not get kicked around!)
    Do you think I should offer it food and water now or wait until tomorrow morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by