1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. :)This is our first hatch. Wed. will be day 18. Thinking about putting eggs in carton small side down with holes cut in bottom of carton. Do I do that tonight or wait until tomorrow night? What should my humidity be from here on out? If chicks hatch how long do you leave in bator before removing them? After I put in carton I do not open bator any more right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [email protected]'s chicks :

:)This is our first hatch. Wed. will be day 18. Thinking about putting eggs in carton small side down with holes cut in bottom of carton. Do I do that tonight or wait until tomorrow night? What should my humidity be from here on out? If chicks hatch how long do you leave in bator before removing them? After I put in carton I do not open bator any more right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't put the eggs in cartons but lots of people do and have good hatch rates. I just set my eggs on the wire rack. I always wait til the evenings of day 18 to either stop turn in the turners or stop turning by hand and bump my humidity levels up.. I use for my house 60 to 70% range.

Never open the bator as it drawls out the humidity and shrink wraps the chicks to the membrane for pipping and zipping out of the eggs. It takes 24 hours sometimes or longer for the chicks to pip and zip out. Patience!!

I leave my chicks in the bator til the hatch is finished.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by