1st hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanttobefarmer, Dec 5, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have my hova bator doing a test run before my eggs arrive in a few days. Everything seems to be very consistent so far. My question is when the eggs arrive I beleive I turn them bottoms up in a carton and let them sit 12-24 hours before putting them in the bator. I read that your not supposed to put in dirty eggs, should I clean them? if so how? I don't think your suppossed to wash them. Also after I candle them,(I am recieving brown eggs, I read that you cannot candle green eggs, Is this true as I have many EE's I will be hatching from later.) If after 2 weeks and I don't see anything when I candle the eggs am I supposed to take the eggs out because they can explode and ruin the hatch for the other eggs? How do you do that if you can't candle green or blue eggs? thanks so much I did a search on here and a google search and I got nothing really specific.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    -After eggs arrive here I generally just leave them sitting in an egg carton LARGE end up so the air cell can stabilize. You can also leave them laying on their side if you have a safe place to do so. I have cats, so I leave mine in a carton. [​IMG]

- If you are buying eggs from someone reputable, they should not send you really dirty eggs. A smudge here or there is okay, but caked on poo or mud is not good. Hopefully everything they send will be on the clean side. Don't wash them first. That messes up the egg bloom and can hurt your hatch. Some smudges won't hurt anything. I have had hens sit on impossibly dirty eggs and the chick came out just fine. When you start setting your own eggs you will want to pick the cleanest and nicest just for good form and hygiene.

- You can indeed candle brown, green and blue eggs. It is harder for sure, but totally possible. I have found that a little mag-lite turned so it is focused as tightly as possible works okay. I still have a hard time with my welsummer eggs, but most of my EE eggs do just fine. It is all about the quality and brightness of the flashlight. You can get those smaller mag-lites at Home Depot and Lowes and they take a regular size battery.

- I do my first candle on day 7 or so. By then you should see veining. As I tend to hatch a lot of dark eggs and I am unsure sometimes about what I'm seeing, I still leave them in until day 18. If there is obviously nothing happening by lockdown I take them out and seal them up in a ziplok type bag before throwing them away. Eggs can explode, but I have never had it happen spontaneously in the bator. Usually you will smell them or see seepage before they blow. Even the eggs I have left in the bator through day 24 haven't exploded. Just handle the duds carefully and seal them up as soon as you can.

- Candling is addictive. You will be tempted to do it all the time because it is way cool. Try really hard to only do it maybe once a week. There are those that say too much candling can kill you hatch. I do know it will mess up temps and humidity. It takes a lot of self control, but be strong. [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!
    What kind of Hovabator are you running?

edited to fix bad advice!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Small end up, you mean the pointed end?
    Why?
    Isn't the pointy end supposed to be down in the incubator? Why all the flipping and flopping??

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    ACK! It is LARGE END up!! Thanks for catching that. You want the air cell to be up so it can stabilize. I'll go fix my first post.

(Sorry for the screw up. I've been doing Christmas cards all day and I'm a little fuzzy!)

5. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Great I really appreciat it, you answered everything and told me why. The time people here at BYC take to answer questions really makes a difference to people. thanks again
    Quote:

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You are very welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by