1st hatch ready for lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    and i'm a mess !!! i started out with 35 eggs shipped to me from various people.

after candling, i was down to 17. (which to me was a great feat since the LG i have i have had to babysit every hour all day and night since we put eggs in. it absolutely refuses to hold a straight temp.)

then 3 days ago, my son (3) couldn't wait any longer for the baby chicks, so he accidentally killed 3 of them trying to "see" them. i was so heartbroken, but used it as a learning experience. it was kind of neat to see what the chick looked like, just heartbreaking. and now there is a deadbolt on the "incubating room" (my bathroom). now i'm down to 15.

tomorrow is lockdown. i'm a wreck. my friend is incubating eggs for me also, with the same hatch date, and she's already had 5 hatch early with more pipping. so now i wonder if mine are even going to make it because the incubator was always anwhere from 99 to 102. at 102 we would open it up and blow air into it to get it back around 100. for the last couple days it's been staying at 101.3 and that's the lowest i can get it during the day. (like i said, this thing is a nightmare.)

also, stupid question:
    yesterday when i went to do my hourly checks one of the eggs was way crooked in the turner. is it possible the chick did that?

so, say a prayer for 15 little chicks, and watch out for an LG flying out the window as soon as this hatch is done. [​IMG]
    i can't wait to finally get a nights sleep!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I know what you mean about the LG. I have one to. The temps you have aren't so bad. I had a temp of 110 and still had chicks hatch if yours went done to 99 it may have slowed them up. Don't worry yet. Remember to get your humidity up for the last 3 days.

Yes it is possible the chick did that. They are moving all around in there trying to get ready.

I'm really sorry about the ones you lost I bet your son won't do that again.

Good luck and let us know how many you get and we all love pics. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Good Luck with your hatch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm sorry about the bad events. It's my first time too. I'm trying not to expect too much, and I'm trying to take a practical point of view. I look at it as a learning experience, and take notes so I know what works and what doesn't for next time.

Bluemoon

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I forgot to ask you, do you have a fan in the bator? If not the temp should be 101.

I've have chicks come out on day 25 because of a low temp I couldn't get up. I would try to put it up and it would go to 106 so I would move it again and it would go to 95. I hate LG's LOL. But the last time it worked good for me after I moved it. I had it in the dining room and didn't think the sun got on it in the morning which made the temp go up and in the afternoon there was no sun. What a time but I learned from it. [​IMG]

I wish you a lot of luck with your hatch. What kind of eggs do you have?

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Just a tip, to keep the temp steady put books over each viewing window cause heat escapes and stuff and it keeps heat in there i havent had to adjust mine since i got it steady and its been 3 days =]. What kind of eggs?

6. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    i have 2 lt brama's, 7 barred rocks, 2 sizzles that i can remember without jumping up and going to count. lol.

it has a fan, not that that matters in it's little brain. as soon as this hatch is done, i'm telling you, i'm taking the turner out, and it's flying out the window [​IMG]

now the hova i just got....1602N....absolutely love it. it's been running from 100 to 102. it doesn't seem capable of 101...so i'm happy with 102. at least in a few days i can go to sleep and not have to worry about 103 plus.

7. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok, everyone that is left is in lockdown. put in warm water, got humidity to 66 almost immediately. hopefully it stays there as i dont have any sponges in my house.

so now we pray, and pace and pray. [​IMG]:fl

8. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    I have read that you are suppose to average the two temps of when your light turns on and then shuts off, and that is your internal egg temp. Our light kicks on at 97, and shuts off at 102 so our average is 99.5. Every time we have candled the babies have been moving and they look good. [​IMG]

9. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    YAY!!! I got 3 pips. at least i didn't kill all of them (my worst fear). 1 sizzle, 1 barred rock, and 1 light brama pipped. oh, the path i'm going to wear to the bator.

10. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Yeah!!! Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by