1st hatch-when to take chickens out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenMitch, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ChickenMitch

ChickenMitch Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    This is my 1st hatch, I had 16 eggs and three have hatched so far starting at 5:00 today. There are a couple of others moving and cracked. Is it okay to leave the chicks in the incubator overnight?

When should I take them out of the incubator?

Thanks for ANY advice.

2. chickenfeed

chickenfeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    North Central Iowa
    They should be okay in there overnight. I leave mine in until their feathers are dry. Usually about 24 hours.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I agree...you can keep them in there. I'm always concerned that my chicks will find some way to hurt themselves in the bator, so I take mine out after they mostly dry off...not really fluffy yet, but dry to touch. I put them right in my brooder which is sitting right next to the bator. If they start bothering the other eggs or trying to get in trouble...you can take them out.

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I agree with oldtimegator. I usually take mine out when they get somewhat dry. I put them in my brooder which consists of a worm box from Walmart and a 75 watt bulb! Stays the perfect temp for the babies and easy cleanup!!!

5. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I agree with the two above posts, I usually wait until the chicks start getting in trouble ie: playing soccer with their little bros and sis' while theyre trying to hatch lol.

6. ChickenMitch

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    The three that hatched about 5:00pm today are already dry and fluffy. However, I really want to keep them in the incubator until morning to see if any of the others hatch. How long can they go before they need water and food?

Thanks!!

7. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    24 hours although i heard some1 say 48 hours once

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    48 hours and I have even heard some people say 36 but I always have them out before then. Make sure you put marbles in the water dish because chicks are very good at drowning themselves!

9. ChickenMitch

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    Update--two more chicks hatched overnight. 5 out of 16 have hatched so far, I will move them to the brooder today by five. Any suggestions on how to introduce them to food and water?

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I usually just sprinkle the starter on the floor of the brooder in the beginning. AFter a day or so, I add the small feeder. I put the regular small waterer in from the beginning, but I add those clear florist "marbles" to the trough area. Chicks can actually fall in and drown...even in only 1/2 inch of water. The marbles keep them from being able to "fall in" and also are a bit sparkly. You know chickens always peck at sparkly things so this helps them begin to drink. I always dip each chicks beak in the water at least once....maybe twice...to let them know that there is water available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by