1st hatch ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Missbrice, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Missbrice

Missbrice New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but read a lot as I when searching I always find the best info on here x

Well here goes,

We have 10 incubated eggs with correct temp and humidity. Day 21 was 27th dec.
    We could hear chirping and one egg pipped. The little one took all day and last night (I'm in uk) it zipped but unfortunately died.

I wanted to know what if any reasons for this were.

Also now we hear no chirping [​IMG] could the rest of passed, we are now not sure what to do?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

what was ur humidity like the last 3 days? did u open the bator at all when they were pipped?

3. Missbrice

Missbrice New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Humidity has been at 64% the bator has been closed the whole time, only just opened it earlier to take the little chick out

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

well sometimes that happens (*alot) to people, but just beacause you dont hear chirping dosen't mean they're dead, I would leave them in there for a few more days. If you pick up an egg and put it to your ear and slightly tap it, you should hear a peep or two, If you dont, then make a chirping sound and see if they respond. Hatching is a very exausting process and they get tired so it's best to wait and they should all be out for sure by day 25. Good luck [​IMG]

5. Missbrice

Missbrice New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Oh good, all fingers crossed for them. Thank you x

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Missbrice
    [​IMG]

I agree with kico to give it a couple more days.
    Was your humidity at 64% for the whole hatch? If so....and speaking from my experience and humble opinion from a past disappointing hatch with wonky hygrometer(=high humidity) this may have been a factor.
    I have the most success with 45% humidity days 1-18 increasing to 70% for lockdown through hatching.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and keep us updated...

7. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG] & keep us updated. [​IMG]

8. Missbrice

Missbrice New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    the humidity was about 45ish or the first 18 days, the chick pipped early on day 21 but remained happy in the egg for the whole day until we went to bed at 12.30am during the night it decided to zip but at 5.30am this morning it was upside down in the egg, perfectly still :-( I have to admit we opened the incubator just long enough to grab the egg but it was too late the chick had perished. poor little thing had succseeded in cracking the egg all the way round but appeared to be stuck beak down. looked as though it might not have had the strength to push the two halves apart. i dont know if it has any relevance but its beak was in the same area as the "cord"
    still no sign of anythng from the other eggs yet there was at least 8 moovers in there at day18 just before lockdown :-/

9. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    this is my first hatch too and i have 10 eggs in my bator. They are due to hatch tomorrow and i saw an egg rock so hopefully i'll have some pips soon!

10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Crossing my fingers for you...a trip to the grocery store or anything that takes me out of the house is usually what gets our hatching started [​IMG]
    I obsessively stare at the incubator for the two days before hatching date. Hubby glances as he walks by or takes his turn checking temp/humidity. I swear he has seen
    way more of them hatch than me! I hope you have some little fuzzies in the near hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by