1st Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chirv, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chirv

chirv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Ok I've been reading about being able to hatch eggs that have been refrigerated. We have a couple of dozen in the fridge now, but my wife has wiped/cleaned them. I've read that you should not do this on eggs you plan on hatching. How sensitive are the eggs to the rubbing/refrigeration?

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well it depends on how long you have had then in the fridge. If it has been more than an hour, they are probably not going to hatch. I dont know about the rubbing part. You will have to see what others think.

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    :welcome

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Refrigeration may decrease viability, but will not completely stop them from hatching. I personally have hatched two chickens from store bought eggs in the fridge isle. The carton has to be labeled "Fertilized eggs" or something along those lines. They don't usually sell these eggs at your regular supermarket, you have to shop at health food stores such as Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or a local farmers market. If you find them, grab the carton of eggs in the very back, those are the freshest.

I hatched two out of a dozen eggs, which is actually good given the fact that they went through shipping and refrigeration. They are white leghorns, and I bought the dozen at Trader Joe's. The eggs at Whole Foods usually hatch out sex links, that's what I heard.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    :goodpost:

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I hatched out 3 fridge eggs of the 7 I placed in incubator last hatch- one was infertile and the others made it to full grown but not pip, (I think I had too much water in incubator that hatch.) I have 6 fridge eggs in a smaller incubator (also homemade) and it is day 14 candled, all is well with all 6. Here is a pic of my fridge chicks.[​IMG]

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    cute!

8. chirv

chirv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Well, I have a staggered hatch and all (6 eggs) but 3 eggs are in lockdown (I'm turning those with a straw). Other than seeing the crack in the egg what other signs should we look for that the chicks are ready to hatch? We've seen a couple of the eggs move but the others are pretty quiet.

9. chirv

chirv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Our first PIP on one of our EE eggs [​IMG]

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    whhoott!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by