1st incubation at home & did everything wrong & 5 hatched day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tbcross, May 3, 2009.

1. tbcross

tbcross Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    I was having a friend incubate for me but decided to try it at home. First I misted the eggs like the guy I got the bator from told me (think he had ducks?), second let the temp spike, third sprung leaks and had to improvise, Oh and I got some in the mail and didn't let them sit but fired up the bator and put everthing in (those I haven't seen pip yet [​IMG]) But still only day 20 and I have 5 out of shell and a doz more pipped. Does anyone know what the chances are the ones from the mail will hatch?[​IMG] They are huge georgeous americanna and EE I am gonna be so heartbroken if I killed them!

[​IMG]

Barb

2. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Depends if PO guys tossed them around much, or if the eggs are any good from the shipper, or .hmm.. I know there's something else that could go wrong..

I didn't get any hatched out of 14 RP Turkey eggs I got.. One did hatch but crippled and died.. Most eggs looked infertile.. But possibly that's what scrambled eggs would do from PO also.. I don't know for sure..

I had 17 of my own BR turkey that I incubated at same time and got 15 out of those 17.. One being infertile and one was bad during the period.

So you'll just have to wait 2 days and that will tell you...

What I do at that time period.. Take my knife very carefully crack the big end of shell... Peel the shell off and gentle remove the membrane...

Just in case it smells.. Do NOT even do this.. It could blow up on you if rotten..

After viewing the inside you can see either infertile egg by being just a hard boiled egg (Might say).. Or went bad during the process . And vary seldom do I see a dead bird inside.. but that can happen..

3. tbcross

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    chillin the guy I traded with is awesome, he has walked me through this whole thing and he's on here somewhere? Anyway I had a spike of 103 at least maybe more because by the time I caught it , it was afternoon and had cooled down:( But I have been looking and I have 2 pipped from the mail so that's pretty good with all my screw ups just happy to have one hatch! So if they come out I am ahead on the curve! LOL and next time I will know to let them sit!
    Oh and on the opening the stinky egg, I promised a prof friend that I would keep a poultry log and I am supposed to open the ones that didn't hatch and see if I can figure out why. Am afraid of the stinky egg and now terrified of getting an exploding one! LOL Thinking about getting one of those nice BIO suits.

Barb

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Barb, I wouldn't open a stinky one at all. You could offer it to your prof friend to open (at his house) if he wishes. Keep it in a zip-lock bag for him until he takes it....if he takes it, LOL.

5. tbcross

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    Well I am up to a doz now with one of them being a beautiful little purpleish and gold americauna "she" is big and healthy hope some more hatch but with all the mistakes I made maybe not..

Barb

6. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    You have given me encouragement!! I got eggs through the mail. Not letting the sit, also put them right in. Tonight is hatch night, getting a bit impatient!! We'll see.....

7. tbcross

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    They have stopped pipping for now so in the am if no more pipping I am gonna take out the hatchlings and incubate the rest until Tue what with the temp spike and plummet they could hatch late. Cross your fingers for me. Next time I hatch it won't be in a 15 yr old holey incubator!!!!
    Barb

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    you just need a hug [​IMG] Let us know how every one is....with pics of course!

9. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    Barb,
    for encouragement... I just successfully hatched my first set of eggs. Lost only one. it quit developing early. These were shipped eggs. Regardless, I made lots of mistakes along the way and was terrified more than once that I'd really screwed up. Once I found the lid of my incubator not on completely. another time, the temp spiked to 103! I couldn't keep my hands off those eggs and candled constantly throughout the incubating time. All those thing they tell you NOT to do... I did. Just couldn't help myself. When my first egg hatched, I told my husband I would be content with one healthy chick. Duh... I hatched 6 out of 7.

I learned one big lesson from this experience. Those chicken eggs are a lot tougher than we think! Also, there are no set rules that work for everyone. There are so many things to take into consideration, including altitude, how far the eggs are shipped, etc. What works for me. may not work for you. Also... what worked for me this time, may not work next time. it's sorta like playing poker. You take risks and sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Sounds to me like you're a winner. Enjoy the chicks you've hatched out and learn from your mistakes. I've learned so much since joining this site. Still have a lot to learn. [​IMG]

10. tbcross

Dec 22, 2008
    Muddy Pond
    Well I got only 14 chicks out of 48 I had a doz. americanna and got one. I opened the eggs ( I opened them inside a grocery bag thank goodness cause one exploded!) several of the shipped eggs were shook the yellow and white were completely mixed. but there were a few chicks that were fully formed and there were 9 out of 10 of my brahma eggs that were fully formed chicks. I quit opening after that. The sac around the chicks and the yolk and blood vessels all look thick they look cooked a little. The only thing I can figure is the spike in temp went way higher than I thought. It happened 2 days or so before hatch and that looks about right cause they were perfect just dead. I am not going to use this bator again that's why I am selling my some of my eggs to buy a new one. It's so frustrating cause I had took 2 doz. eggs to the guy who was incubating for me for him to hatch and keep wouldn't you know he got 22 out of it!! Arggggh!!! And even the eggs I shipped last my other friend candled them and said out of 12 he had 10! And it was just so sad seeing all those little guys still in the shell, I had waited till day 24 to open any just in case. I should have been prepared though cause I was having to wrap the thing in a towel to keep the temp up when it was cooler, I would come in and the temp would read 97. Next time I will have a better incubator or will just have someone else do it for me. I am definately going to get some silkies and let them start doing some!!

Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by