1st Jersey Giant egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantyChickMom, Dec 10, 2007.

1. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    My DS has waited so patiently for this and it finally
    came at 22 weeks,

from left to right,

BR, JG, Red Star (been laying for about 2 months)

[​IMG]

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    my jersey giant girls lay the dark brown egg and its big bigger than any iv ever had.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I'm still waiting for Maggie to lay. [​IMG]

4. BantyChickMom

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    One of my three BR's layed her first last week, and now this week, 1 of the 2 JG's.
    I was amazed that they both were so light, but I'm assuming they will get bigger and darker after the girls have been laying a while.

DS and I went grocery shopping after school and DH called to tell me he thought one of the jg's had laid an egg.
    Well, DS always says that me or DH finds all the new eggs, and he wanted to be the one to find a "first" egg.
    I was gonna tell him to go check for eggs when we got home
    but 6 yr. old DD wanted to talk to brother and she told him.
    He was disappointed that he wasn't the one who found it, but was still thrilled that one of his girls were finally laying.

nccountrygirl,
    how old is maggie?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    BantyChickMom - Your kiddos sound adorable [​IMG] How old are your Jerseys? I would love to have a pair, but don't know if I have the space or money to feed them [​IMG]

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Banty, I really don't know for sure but she sure is a big thing. She is starting to get red, so maybe it won't be to much longer.

7. BantyChickMom

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    One of the jg girls squatted for me about 5 seconds about 3 weeks ago, so I've been looking everyday.
    The girls look small compared to the 2 roos, but at 22 weeks this week, they are as big as 7 month old red stars.

I'm a banty person myself but my DS just had to have the biggest chicken he could find -- I'm glad he got those because now, I'm taking a liking to them.
    They are so calm and are very pretty, and are surprisingly quiet for their size.

Here's pics of 3 of them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Countryroad,

mine are 22 weeks and I imagine they eat more than their share, but I have 54 chickens total with only 2 bantams laying (one of those hasn't laid in 2 weeks) and now 4 standards laying.
    I mix layers/start & grow for the layers (so the roosters get more than layers) and just start & grow for the non layers,
    I go thru a 50# bag of start & grow every 2 weeks, and the layers food lasts much longer.
    Even with their size, a trio wouldn't require that much space.
    I have 6 chickens (4 jg, 2 red stars) in an 8 X 12 pen with a 4 X 8 coop. When I get the next pen built (after Christmas) the red stars will move out, and I'm still hoping to get rid of one of the jg roos, so I'll have a trio left but I plan on ordering a couple more hens next year.

If you decide to get some I promise you won't regret it,
    they are wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by