1st new baby chick! Need advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joelmartin357, Jan 9, 2010.

1. joelmartin357

joelmartin357 New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    I am new to the coop. I started with chicks this last spring. A month ago I had one hen striving her hardest to brood. So I decided to let her sit. Well she has collected eggs over the past four weeks. I finally marked the eggs a week or so ago, so I could start pulling the newest ones out to prevent from getting to many, and pulling the wrong ones.
    Well I went out this morning to let the chickens out I found a broken egg shell. didn't think nothing of it. I have had broken eggs before. Then tonight I went out to close up the pen and collect the last of the eggs and then there it was. "Chirp, chirp, chirp" I picked up momma and there was our first baby chic. I'm a new dad! Kinda
    Anyways. I am clueless! Do I leave her with mom? Raise her under a heat lamp like the first ones? If I leave her with mom, do I put a separate feeders in the laying box? do I have to separate them from the flock? It is in the 20's outside at night, do I need additional lamps out there? and many more questions? Any advice would be appreciated. Also concerned about unhatched eggs?Thanks. Joel

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    This is what I would do. Use your own judgement:

1.) leave it with Mom

2.) It sounds like you already have heat out in the coop. Is it near the broody?

3.) I would separate her and the chick and eggs from the rest of the flock tomorrow. You are probably fine for tonight.

4.) A time will come when she will abandon the remaining eggs to care for the new chicks. You should have an incubator available and ready to put them in or you will lose them. Did you write the dates on them so you know when they are due to hatch?

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  3. joelmartin357

joelmartin357 New Egg

Jan 9, 2010
    I have not marked dates on the other eggs. It was spread out. I didn't really know at the time to try and keep them all within a couple of days. As for the heat lamp, it is a little ways away at to protect the hens from hitting it and breaking the bulb. I do have another hen trying to brood, so maybe I can get her to sit on the remaining eggs. I have been collecting hers, as to not have to many new chicks and it wasn't my intention to raise a lot more. Also if I leave her with mom. What do I do about food and water for baby? Joel
    And thanks for the quick response:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I would get one of your hens to hatch another soon. You should always have two chicks. Just one will get lonely and be "messed up" as an adult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by