1st night and a problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hagadorn6, Sep 18, 2009.

1. hagadorn6

hagadorn6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    What to do when one chicken poops on the back of another?

Hose em down? What do u do to clean the poop of the chickens back?

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Baby wipes! Or a damp rag with some mild/organic hand soap.

To prevent it you'll want to re-arrange your sleeping arrangments so that each roost is 1 1/2 feet or so offset from the one above it, or provide more roosts if the lower ranking fowl don't have room to roost at all.

You have to build and arrange things with dropping poo in mind. Never put the water near a roosting pole, if they're not to roost in a certain spot build roost prevention while ensuring there's available roosting elsewhere.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It will dry up and fall off as the chicken moves around and/or preens itself. I would not worry, personally [​IMG]

what mandelyn said about arranging things to avoid it again. If some chickens are not sleeping on the roost, pick them up after dark and PUT them there so they learn.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    We had the same problem and my husband re-did the roost and its no problem now. I brought the hen in that was a little dirty (she was all white) and i gave her a luke warm shower and used a mild shampoo on her. I wrapped her in a towel and then blow dryed her, whick took some time. She is pure white now! [​IMG]

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I had that problem before I got rid of the lower roost. For the most part the poop just rolls off, but occasionally some of it sticks. But it dries up and comes off in the normal activities of the day.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Probably almost everyone has had that happen at one time or another. In my case it was a bird with a hurt leg that couldn't get on the top roosts and was sleeping on a lower roost. When I went out to get her to clean her after I noticed it, the poop was gone so I didn't bother.

7. hagadorn6

hagadorn6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Quote:Ya I thought the chickens poo in like small round poops, liquedy of course, but this bird was pooded clear across its back from one side to another. Maybe one of them has diarreha, but then that would be a whole other subject. Wouldn't it? ugh

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It's important to decide whether this is diarrhea, which is usually sign of a serious problem that needs to be identified and dealt with; or whether it's a normal cecal poo. Several times a day a chicken will have a cecal poo, which is quite different from the normal poo; it is like melted chocolate, runny and sometimes rather voluminous and usually nasty-smelling. That is *normal*. Anything runny OTHER than that, is diarrhea and a problem.

I can see where if a chicken got a big ol' cecal poo squirted all across her back, you might feel moved to do something about it [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by