1st night in coop (Am I a wimp?) (picks added!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I finished the coop today and moved my almost 7 week old girls out there around 6 PM. We went out to dinner and the movies and I just got back and checked on them at about 10:30 PM. It was a cool and rainy afternoon and the temperature outside right now is about 60. It will probably be in the low to mid 50s by morning. Three of the 8 were on one of the roosts and the other five were on the shelf over the nesting boxes, sort of huddled in the corner, so I spent the next 15 minutes setting up a heat lamp for them. Am I a wimp? Overprotective mother?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    You love your babies!![​IMG]

3. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    I would have done the same thing...

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Where do you live that it gets down in the 50's in this heat wave? Good luck with the chicks.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:Sorry to flaunt that little piece of climate information in front of you when you folks are suffering so. I live at about 8,000 ft. in the Colorado mountains West of Colorado Springs. It has been in the low 90s most days in Colorado Springs but a 20 minute drive "up the pass" and it is always at least 10 degrees cooler. Every night it drops into the 60s and if we have an afternoon rainstorm (which we have most afternoons this time) it will often drop into the 50s.

So, are 7 week old chickens OK at 50 degrees at night? They've been in a pen in our garage up until now and the temperature rarely drops below 70 there because the back half of the garage is under ground.

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    no your not a wimp you just love your birds. i applause you for your care [​IMG] . i wish all chicken farmers were like you [​IMG] .

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If 7 week old chicks are inside a coop out of the wind, they are fine at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. They have been fully feathered out for two weeks. They are ready to go outside.

I occasionally have brooder raised chicks that will roost by 7 weeks, though mine usually wait until 10 to 12 weeks to start roosting. The ones on the shelf were not cold. They just enjoy each others company at night. When they roost, they will probably be real close side by side, not to stay warm but because they like being close together. Adults sometimes do it too in hot weather. Since some of yours are already roosting, I expect the rest will pretty soon.

You can provide heat if you wish, as long as they have room to get away from it if they want. I consider it an unnecessary fire risk but they are yours and you can do what you wish.

Good luck!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree with Ridgerunner, heat is not needed now, and if you feel compelled to provide it, be sure they can get far enough away from it not to be exposed, if they wish.

9. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    You are not a wimp, you just worry...I was a mess myself when I first put the girls out! (going on their 3rd week out) I'm in FLA and even at night is on the 70's at best and they still all huddled up and now they all roost and still are all over each other! lol....

oh and is ok you can talk about your cool nights all you want, talk to me in a few months when you are out shoveling snow while I'll be at the beach!! hehehehehe [​IMG]

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At 7 weeks they don't need heat. I have full grown roosters that huddle at night in 90 degree heat. That's just what they do.
    If they huddle during the day they're too cold, at night don't worry about it.
    I like them to be a little on the cool side. I think it helps them feather out better especially if given high protein. 20-24%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by